top of page

Stories from Gletsch

The Blue House

IGRG Logo.png

- Story 4

Design ohne Titel (2).jpg

The Blauhaus (original name) takes its name from the Blauberg south of the Furkapasshöhe (surveyed in 1991 by Stefan Wagner from Limburg an der Lahn). It was built in various stages. In 1899/1900, it was given its present nine-axle shape. It was built as an annexe and supply building with smaller rooms and modest sanitary facilities in the long corridors. Seen from the river, a small power station was built in the basement (supply from the reservoir 160 meters higher up in the valley).

The water was used to supply electricity and water and today covers Gletsch's water consumption. Next came the butcher's cellar, the smoking cellar, two rooms for storing cheese (still in use today), workshops and storage rooms as well as a bakery at the back. A stream ran through the entire building carrying the waste towards the Rhone (still in use today).

The small power station was exhibited at the World Exhibition in Paris in 1899. It was one of the first power stations in the world that could generate electricity. Today it has been restored to its original condition and is still on display.


The building is now privately owned. The attic and mansard floors have already been restored in recent years and the cheese cellars have been moved one room towards the Rhone. In 2023, the windows on the first floor and on the first and second floors will be replaced, an exit from the staircase into the valley will be created and further renovations will be carried out.


The Blauhaus will continue to serve as a supply building for Gletsch, accommodate volunteers (Fronis) from the railroad and Gletsch and offer additional simple overnight accommodation. The “Glacier World” exhibition is to be expanded, an extension with a terrace built and a new small power station constructed.


bottom of page